Friday 13 February 2009

Atom Tan


In 1988, a single copy of Deadline #1, an anthology comic created by 2000AD stalwarts Steve Dillon & Brett Ewins, made an unlikely journey over the Welsh border, across mountains, through fields, along the coast, over a bridge and onto the middle shelf of a usually rather poorly stocked newsagent in a little village on Anglesey. I was 14 years old and my life changed forever.

Alright that's a slight exaggeration, but it was still bloody exciting. I um'd and aah'd for a few minutes before forking over the rather adult amount of £1.50, hoping the man behind the till didn't realise the mag was full of violence and bras. I was already a fan of Misters Ewins and especially Dillon, and became an immediate convert to the work of Jamie Hewlett, Philip Bond (♥), Nick Abadzis, Shaky Kane and the incredible D'Israeli D'Emon Draughtsman. I religiously scored every Deadline from then on, even when in later years it began to fade as an underachieving style mag.

Advertised in those early issues was a tantalising zine which promised all kinds of Hewlett & Bond goodies. That zine was Atom Tan. Unfortunately, I didn't get to read it. But years later, thanks to the magic of eBay, I was finally able to sate my drooling inner child.

Design god Jamie Hewlett has since given us Gorillaz and Journey To The West, and Philip Bond went on to draw the sexiest character in comicdom and save the world.

Thanks to punkster Cclay for the scan of Atom Tan #1.






2 comments:

  1. Oh man, Slink, thank you so much for posting this! I've been a religious follower of Hewl since I was 16 years old, and I remember reading bits and pieces about Atomtan in articles about Hewlett here and there, but I could never find it. Cheers a million for putting a smile on my inner-child's dial as well! -Carl.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah me too, I only came to know Jaime through Deadline and 2000 AD.
    I have four issues of deadline scanned.I wonder if you might have any more you'd be willing to share?

    ReplyDelete